Artikel von Joe Vogel, BAD 25 - "Listening to Michael Jackson's Unreleased Demos"

Geplante Forumschließung am 20.05.2024

Verhindere die Schließung mit einer Spende:

Jetzt Spenden
  • Abortion, Fame, and 'Bad': Listening to Michael Jackson's Unreleased Demos

In late 1986, Michael Jackson was pacing in Westlake Audio's Studio D, singing to himself: "I feel so bad, I feel really bad, God music makes me feel good."

"At the time, we had no idea the name of the album was going to be called Bad," jokes assistant engineer, Russ Ragsdale.

It wasn't the only revelation for the crew at Westlake. It turned out in the interval between Thriller and the official start of the Bad sessions, Jackson had written some 60-70 new songs. Eleven ended up on the official album, leaving numerous great tracks on the cutting room floor in various stages.

Over the past couple of years, under the direction of Jackson's estate, a team has been carefully archiving and digitizing these demos. "Some tracks we found were very early recordings," says Jackson estate co-executor John Branca. "Some were actually so complete that any other artist but Michael Jackson might consider them finished tracks. Still others were in between." Of these, six demos were chosen for Disc 2 of the forthcoming Bad 25 box set (out September 18).
    Recently I was given an exclusive listen to these never-before-heard demos. I was struck by how finished and enjoyable they are. These are not mere song fragments. While the production on a couple of them sounds a bit dated, all have great hooks and choruses. What makes them really special, though, is their authenticity. None have been given a modern makeover. What they offer is a more intimate picture of Jackson the recording artist, circa 1985-87. We hear his ideas, his warmth, his pain, his humor, and his energy. The best of the bunch, for me, is the gorgeous mid-tempo ballad, "I'm So Blue," though a case could easily be made for the edgy rhythm tracks, "Price of Fame" and "Al Capone." Each of these six demos (and two others that had been previously released) contains its own unique imprint—and most importantly, all are 100 percent real, unembellished Michael Jackson.

What follows is a track-by-track review with additional insights from recording engineer and longtime Jackson friend, Matt Forger:

"Don't Be Messin' 'Round"

I wrote an in-depth piece on the making of this infectious, Bossa Nova-styled rhythm track back in June when it was released as a B-side to Jackson's No. 1 hit ballad, "I just can't stop loving you." You can read that piece here. A fan favorite (and a song Jackson worked on many years and for which he had great affection), it is an appropriate opener to this collection. Some day it would be fascinating for listeners to hear the extended cuts (many of Jackson's songs and demos have longer versions which he often reluctantly trimmed down at Quincy Jones's bequest) as well as its later re-incarnations.

Matt Forger:"The thing I love about these demos is the rawness. Michael had the freedom to just get the expression out there without thinking, 'Oh, Quincy is going to be judging the vocal, or it has to be perfect.' It's just Michael going for it, experimenting, having fun."

"I'm So Blue"

This is a simple but beautiful ballad about singing to keep the blues away. Its languid, wistful feel is augmented by a lush keyboard bed, airy strings and soulful harmonica. It conjures a warm, summer dusk as Jackson narrates a tale of lost love. "I've been singing for so very long," he laments. "Still I'm crying/ Tell me what should I do." The wordless chorus (sha da da da da da da) is a resigned sigh. Like the blues men of old, he takes refuge from his loneliness and sorrow in the music.

Matt Forger: "This was a song Michael worked on with me and Bill Bottrell. It was already mixed from that era. It's a mid-tempo, melancholy, rainy-day-by-the-fireplace kind of song. It's a bit reminiscent of Stevie Wonder—the harmonica, the tonality. Stevie was a big part of Michael's life. It's not unusual that you would see that influence in his work."

"Abortion Papers"
    Jackson isn't the first recording artist to explore the controversial subject of abortion in song. It has also surfaced in the work of Neil Young, Madonna, Sinead O'Connor, and Lauryn Hill, among others. In "Abortion Papers," Jackson approaches the matter carefully (and ambiguously): rather than presenting a dogmatic political perspective, he personalizes it through the story of a conflicted girl raised in a deeply religious home and her Bible-admonishing father. In his notes for the track, Jackson wrote, "I have to do it in a way so I don't offend girls who have gotten abortions or bring back guilt trips so it has to be done carefully....I have to really think about it." Jackson narrates the track with a strong, passionate vocal. Ironically, the main drawback of the track is its catchiness. It feels a bit strange wanting to dance and sing along to a song about abortion, but that's exactly what the addictive groove inspires. Kudos to Jackson for attempting to tackle a sensitive issue in a thoughtful manner, though it appears even he wasn't quite sure about how it would play to listeners.

Matt Forger: "This was a song that we initially missed during archiving. It was titled 'Song Groove' on the box so we overlooked it. Once we figured out what it was we started to put the pieces together. It was recorded by Brian Maloof and Gary O., a couple of engineers who worked with Michael for a brief time. When we heard it we knew it could be controversial, especially with what's been going on politically. But when you listen to the song there's a story being told. Michael really reflected on what the approach should be. He wasn't sure how to narrate it. There were different variations with vocals—he didn't want it to be judgmental. He was very clear about that. But he wanted to present a real, complicated situation."

"Free"

"Got to be free," Jackson exclaims in this breezy ballad's conclusion. His bright, breathy vocal hearkens back to the carefree vitality of the Jacksons/Off the Wall era. The verses on this track were clearly still being worked out, but the chorus ("Free, free like the wind blows/ To Fly away just like the sparrow...") and harmonies are enough to whisk one away from the worries of the day. Beautiful song.

Matt Forger:"There were times when going back and listening to this stuff was really an emotional experience for me. That was especially the case when I started working on the song, 'Free.' When you listen to this song you hear Michael's spirit and joy. It's raw, it's loose, it's him in his element, doing what he loved to do. The first time I listened to it I broke down. This is what it was like every day."

"Price of Fame"

One of the recurring themes in Jackson's work—pervasive on the Bad album and its outtakes—is about being in control versus being controlled. Given the nature of his life, particularly after Thriller, this preoccupation makes sense. How does he retain his identity, his sanity, his privacy amid such suffocating scrutiny, adulation, and expectations? Out of this context comes the dark psychological rumination, "Price of Fame," with its Police-like, "Spirits in a Material World" opening and "Billie Jean"-esque verses (there are also chords with echoes of "Who Is It"). "Father always told me you won't live a quiet life," he rues, "if you're reaching for fortune and fame." The vocal throughout is drenched in painful irony. Where "Billie Jean" relays a mother's plea to "be careful who you love," here the father dominates via harsh dictums about the realities of show business. "It's the price of fame," Jackson sings in the chorus. "So don't you feel no pain/ It's the price of fame/ So don't you ever complain." While the song's production isn't complete by Jackson's standards, it does offer a powerful vocal (listen to the way he bites into the lyric: "My father never lies!"). It is a striking juxtaposition to the easy bliss of the previous track, revealing Why he so desperately yearned to Fly away and be "free."

Matt Forger: "Bill [Bottrell] and I worked on this one and I believe this is Bill's mix from that era... You can just tell it's an emotionally charged song. It's clearly based on his experience. But Michael often did songs that are based on his experience but blended with other characters and people's experiences as well."

• "Al Capone"

"Al Capone" sounds about as much like "Smooth Criminal" as "Streetwalker" sounds like "Dangerous" (i.e. not very much at all). In both cases, however, Jackson took elements he liked and transformed them into something completely new. It is a testament to Jackson's instincts, patience, and work ethic. While this earlier version has great potential (and likely would have been released by many of Jackson's contemporaries as is), he kept at it and came up with the timeless classic that is "Smooth Criminal." The demo also demonstrates Jackson's remarkable knack for choruses that stick. One listen and those falsetto harmonies are on repeat in the brain.

Matt Forger: "This is an example of a song where a part of it inspires the next version of the song. There have been many cases where Michael has done that, where he would dwell on a song and refine concepts, or lyrics or melodies. The bass line in 'Al Capone'—you can see how it evolved into 'Smooth Criminal.' And the whole gangster theme carried over—though as it evolved it became less about a particular historical figure and more about a situation and a story. You can also hear Michael experimenting with this staccato-type of vocal, this rapid wordplay that he would later use."

"Streetwalker"

"Streetwalker" retains its place as the best of the Bad-era outtakes (closely followed by the unincluded standout, "Cheater"). While it was first released on the 2001 special edition of Bad, it is nice to have it in this collection as it fits so perfectly with the other material on the album and will now be heard by millions more listeners. Jackson actually wanted the track on the final lineup of Bad, but eventually conceded to Quincy Jones on "Another part of me." The song features a killer bass line, bluesy harmonica fills, and a classic Jackson vocal.

"Fly away"

Also originally released on the 2001 special edition of Bad, this beautiful ballad is pure sonic bliss. Unlike some of the early Hayvenhurst demos, the production here is pristine and showcases Jackson's voice in sublime form.

Remixes:

There are a handful of remixes at the end of Disc 2, intended, no doubt, to introduce Jackson to a new generation of listeners. By far, the best among these is the driving, high-energy remix of "Speed Demon" by Nero. It feels like it could be a club or radio hit today. You can take a listen here.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/ent…-unreleased-demos/262242/

. :Tova: ...Übersetzung mach ich noch...

• Abortion, Fame und 'BAD': Michael Jacksons unveröffentlichte Demos

Ende 1986 lief Michael Jackson durch das Westlake Studio D, und sang vor sich hin: ""I feel so bad, I feel really bad, God music makes me feel good."

"Damals hatten wir noch keine Ahnung, was der Name des Albums BAD sein würde, ", scherzt Assistent Engineer, Russ Ragsdale.

Es war nicht die einzige Offenbarung für die Crew in Westlake. Es stellte sich heraus, dass Jackson etwa 60-70 neue Songs im Intervall zwischen Thriller und dem offiziellen Start der BAD Sessions geschrieben hatte. Elf davon landeten auf dem offiziellen Album, und es blieben zahlreiche große Tracks, in verschiedenen Stadien,
    im Schneideraum zurück.

In den letzten Jahren hat, unter der Leitung von Jacksons Estate, ein Team diese Demos sorgfältig archiviert und digitalisiert. "Einige Tracks, die wir fanden, waren sehr frühe Aufnahmen ", sagt Jacksons Co-executor John Branca. "Einige waren tatsächlich so vollständig, dass jeder andere Künstler, außer Michael Jackson, sie für fertige Stücke gehalten hätte. Und andere waren irgendwo dazwischen." Von diesen wurden sechs Demos für Disc 2 der bevorstehenden Bad 25 Box ausgewählt.
    Vor kurzem bekam ich diese Demos, die noch nie zuvor gehört wurden, exklusiv zu hören. Mir fiel auf, wie weit fertig und wie genußvoll sie sind. Das sind nicht bloße Song-Fragmente. Während die Produktion von ein paar von Ihnen etwas veraltet klingt, haben doch alle großartige Hooks und Refrains. Was sie wirklich besonders macht, ist ihre Authentizität. Keiner wurde modern umgearbeitet. Was sie bieten, ist ein intimer Einblick in Jackson als Rekording-Artist, in der Zeit von ca. 1985-87. Wir hören seine Ideen, seine Wärme, seinen Schmerz, seinen Humor und seine Energie. Am besten davon ist für mich die wunderschöne Midtempo-Ballade, "I'm so Blue," Obwohl das auch für die kantigen Rhythmus-Tracks "Price of Fame" und "Al Capone" gelten könnte. Jede von diesen sechs Demos (und zwei andere, die zuvor schon veröffentlicht waren) hat seine eigene, einzigartige Prägung — und das wichtigste ist, alle sind 100 % realer, schnörkelloser Michael Jackson.

Was folgt, ist eine track-by-track review, mit zusätzlichen Erkenntnissen des Toningenieurs und langjährigem Freund Jacksons, Matt Forger.

"Don't Be Messin' 'Round"

Ich schrieb im Juni ein ausführlicheres Stück über die Produktion dieser ansteckenden, Bossa Nova- Rhythmus-Aufnahme, als es auf der B-Seite von Jacksons Nr. 1-Hit-Ballade, "I Just Can't Stop Lovin' You" veröffentlicht wurde. (Sie können dieses Stück hier lesen). Es ist ein fan favorite (und ein Lied, an dem Jackson über viele Jahre arbeitete und für das er große Zuneigung hatte), es ist ein geeigneter Start zu dieser Auflistung. Es wäre sicher faszinierend für Hörer, die längeren Versionen davon, sowie seine spätere Re-incarnations, zu hören (viele von Jacksons Songs und Demos haben längere Versionen, die er oft widerwillig auf Anfrage von Quincy Jones gekürzt hat)

Matt Forger: "Was ich an diesen Demos liebe, ist die rohe Form. Michael hatte die Freiheit, sich einfach auszudrücken, ohne sich Gedanken zu machen wie:, 'Oh, Quincy wird den Gesang beurteilen oder es muss perfekt sein." Es ist einfach nur Michael, wie er experimentiert und Spaß hat.."

"I'm So Blue"

Dies ist eine einfache, aber schöne Ballade darüber, zu singen um den Blues fern zu halten. Das träge, sehnsuchtsvolle Gefühl wird durch eine üppige Keyboard Untermalung, luftige Streichinstrumente und gefühlvoller Harmonika ergänzt. Es zaubert eine warme, Sommer Dämmerung, wenn Jackson eine Geschichte von verlorener Liebe erzählt. . ("I've been singing for so very long," "Still I'm crying/ Tell me what should I do.") "Ich habe so lange gesungen,", klagt er. "Ich weine noch immer / sag' mir, was ich tun soll." Der wortlose Refrain (Sha da da da da da da) ist wie ein resigniertes seufzen. Wie die alten Blues-Sänger flüchtet er aus seiner Einsamkeit und Trauer in der Musik.

Matt Forger: "Das war ein Lied, an dem Michael mit mir und Bill Bottrell gearbeitet hat. Es wurde bereits in dieser Zeit abgemischt. Es ist ein Mid-Tempo, melancholisches "Regen-Tag-vor-dem-Kamin" Lied. Es erinnert ein bisschen an Stevie Wonder — die Mundharmonika, die Tonalität. Stevie war ein großer Teil von Michaels Leben. Es ist nicht ungewöhnlich, dass man diesen Einfluss in seinem Werk erkennt."

"Abortion Papers"

Jackson ist nicht der erste recording artist, der versucht, das strittige Thema der Abtreibung in einem Song zu erkunden. Es ist auch in der Arbeit von Neil Young, Madonna, Sinead O'Connor und Lauryn Hill, u.a. aufgetaucht. Jacksons Ansatz in "Abortion Papers," nähert sich dem Thema sorgfältig (und doppeldeutig): statt einer dogmatischen, politischen Perspektive zu präsentieren, personalisiert er es durch die Geschichte eines Mädchens in dieser Konfliktsituation, die in einem tief religiösen Haus aufwuchs mit ihrem zur Bibel ermahnenden Vater. In seinen Aufzeichnungen für den Track schrieb Jackson, "Ich muss es auf eine Weise tun, mit der ich nicht Mädchen beleidige, oder sich wieder schuldig fühlen lasse, die Abtreibungen bekommen haben, - es muss vorsichtig behandelt werden....Ich muss wirklich darüber nachdenken." Jackson erzählt die Geschichte mit einem starken, leidenschaftlichen Gesang. Ironischerweise ist der größte Nachteil des Tracks seine eingängige Art. Es fühlt sich ein bisschen seltsam an, auf ein Lied über Abtreibung tanzen und singen zu wollen, aber das ist genau das, was der süchtig machende Groove inspiriert. Kudos an Jackson, der ein sensibles Thema nachdenklich anzugehen versucht, obwohl es scheint, dass auch er nicht ganz sicher war, wie beim Hörer ankommen würde.

Matt Forger: "Das war ein Lied, was wir zunächst bei der Archivierung verpassten. Es hieß 'Song Groove' , so dass wir es übersahen. Als wir erstmal wussten, was es war, fingen wir an, die Teile zusammen zu stellen. Es wurde von Brian Maloof und Gary O. aufgenommen, ein paar Technikern, die für kurze Zeit mit Michael gearbeitet hatten. Als wir es hörten, wussten wir, dass es umstritten sein könnte, vor allem wegen dem, was politisch vor geht. Aber wenn Sie das Lied hören, wird dort eine Geschichte erzählt. Michael reflektiert wirklich über das, was der Ansatz sein sollte. Er war sich nicht sicher, wie man es erzählen sollte. Es gab verschiedene Vocal-Varianten — er wollte nicht zu wertend sein. Das machte er sehr deutlich. Er wollte aber eine reale, komplizierte Situation präsentieren."

"Free"

"Got to be free," ruft Jackson in dieser luftigen Ballade als Schlussfolgerung. Seine hellen, gehauchten Vocals lassen zurück horchen zu der unbeschwerten Vitalität von Jacksons Off the Wall-Ära. Die Verse auf diesem Track waren eindeutig noch auszuarbeiten, aber der Refrain ("Free, free like the wind blows/ To Fly away just like the sparrow...") "frei, frei wie der Wind / weg fliegen wie ein Spatz..." und die Harmonien reichen aus, um den Sorgen des Tages zu entkommen. Ein wunderschönes Lied.

Matt Forger: "Es gab Zeiten, da war das Zurückkommen und Zuhören von diesen Sachen wirklich eine emotionale Erfahrung für mich. Das war vor allem der Fall, als ich anfing an dem Song 'Free" zu arbeiten. Wenn du dieses Lied hörst, hört man Michaels Spirit und Freude. Es ist roh, es ist locker, es ist ER in seinem Element, er tut, was er am meisten liebt. Als iches zum ersten Mal hörte, brach ich zusammen. So was es jeden Tag."

"Price of Fame"

Eines der wiederkehrenden Themen in Jacksons Arbeit — allgegenwärtig auf dem Album Bad und seinen Outtakes — über den Gegensatz, "Kontrolle zu haben" und "kontrolliert zu werden". Angesichts des Charakters seines Lebens, insbesondere nach Thriller, macht dieses Anliegen viel Sinn. Wie behält er seine Identität, seinen Verstand, seine Privatsphäre inmitten dieser erstickenden Kontrolle, Bewunderung und Erwartungen? Aus diesem Zusammenhang heraus entsteht das dunkle, psychologische Grübeln. "Price of Fame", mit einer Police -ähnlichen Eröffnungssequenz, wie bei "Spirits in a Material World" und "Billie Jean"-Esquen Versen (es gibt auch Akkorde mit Anklänge an "Who Is It"). ("Father always told me you won't live a quiet life, if you're reaching for fortune and fame.") "Vater sagte mir immer, du wirst kein ruhiges Leben leben, wenn du Glück und Rum erreichen wirst" singt er. Der gesamte Gesang ist mit schmerzhafter Ironie getränkt. Wo "Billie Jean" ein vorsichtiges Plädoyer der Mutter einleitet ("be careful who you love," ) "achte darauf, wen du liebst", dominiert hier der Vater mit harten Maximen über die Realitäten des Show-Business. ("It's the price of fame," ) "Es ist der Preis des Ruhms" singt Jackson im Refrain. ("So don't you feel no pain/ It's the price of fame/ So don't you ever complain." ) "Fühlst du nicht den Schmerz/ Es ist der Preis des Ruhms/ Also beschwere dich nicht"
    Während die Song-Produktion nicht vollständig nach Jacksons Standards ist, bietet er energetische Vocals (man hört die Art und Weise, wie er sich in den Text "beißt" bei: ("My father never lies!") "mein Vater lügt nie!"). Es ist ein markantes Gegenstück auf die einfache Glückseligkeit des vorherigen Tracks, und es offenbart, warum er sich so verzweifelt danach sehnte, weg zu fliegen und (Free) "frei" zu sein. (....:stuhl: ....;( ...)

Matt Forger: "Bill [Bottrell] und ich arbeiteten daran und ich glaube, dies ist Bills Mix aus dieser Zeit... Man kann sagen, dass es ein emotional geladenes Lied ist. Es basiert eindeutig auf seinen Erfahrungen. Aber Michael hat oft Lieder, mit der Grundlage seiner Erfahrungen, die er aber auch mit anderen Charakteren und den Erfahrungen anderer Menschen gemischt hat."

...Rest folgt noch..

• there are so many books,written about michael,most of them i dont like.the best book is written by michael:dancing the dream.his poems are so amazing,and i think,its
    a must have for every fan.also the book from joe vogel is very good.and last the book from margott schürings:from king of pop to mahatma.this spiritual book comes from
    her heart and describes michaels soul and spirit so fine.
    i hope for the future,if there are new books,that they are also spiritual,like michael was.and maybee there are enough books now......
    we all love him in our own way,we all were crying for him,we all are praying for his wonderful children.
    so as michael told us:love each other..... :mjmw:

my mission is pure and simple: love.....michael jackson :hut1:

• noch der Rest...

"Al Capone"

"Al Capone" klingt so viel nach "Smooth Criminal" wie "Streetwalker" nach "Dangerous" klingt. (d.h. nicht besonders viel). In beiden Fällen nahm Jackson jedoch Elemente, die er liebte und verwandelte sie in etwas völlig neues. Es ist ein Beleg für Jacksons Instinkt, Geduld und Arbeitsethik. Während diese frühe Version großes Potenzial hat (und wahrscheinlich von vielen Zeitgenossen Jacksons so freigegeben worden wäre), hielt er sie zurück und kam dann mit dem zeitlosen Klassiker "Smooth Criminal". Die Demo zeigt auch Jacksons bemerkenswertes Händchen für Refrains, die haften bleiben. Einmal hören und diese Falsett-Harmonien sind auf Abruf im Gehirn.

Matt Forger: "Dies ist ein Beispiel für ein Lied, von dem ein Teil die nächste Version des Songs inspiriert. Es gab viele Fälle wo Michael, das getan hat, wo er bei einem Lied verweilte und die Konzepte, Texte oder Melodien verfeinerte. Die Basslinie in 'Al Capone' — man kann sehen, wie sie sich in 'Smooth Criminal' entwickelt. Und das ganze Gangster-Thema wurde übernommen — aber als es sich entwickelte, ging es weniger um eine bestimmte historische Figur, sondern mehr um eine Situation und eine Geschichte. Man kann auch hören, wie Michael mit diesem Stakkato-Vocals experimentiert, diese schnelle Wortspiele, die er später nutzen würde."

"Streetwalker"

"Streetwalker" behält seinen Platz unter den besten Outtakes der Bad-Ära (dicht gefolgt von dem nicht enthaltenen, herausragenden "Cheater"). Während es auf der Special Edition von Bad (2001) zuerst freigegeben wurde, es ist schön, es in dieser Sammlung zu haben, weil es so perfekt zu dem anderen Material auf dem Album passt und wird nun von Millionen mehr Zuhörern gehört. Jackson wollte eigentlich den Track auf das endgültige Lineup von Bad nehmen einigte sich schliesslich mit Quincy Jones auf "Another part of me". Kennzeichnend für das Lied ist eine "killer-bass-linie", bluesige Mundharmonika Teile und eine klassischer Jackson Gesang.

"Fly away"

Wurde auch ursprünglich auf der 2001-Special-Edition von Bad veröffentlicht. Diese wunderschöne Ballade ist pure Klang-Glückseeligkeit. Im Gegensatz zu einigen der frühen Hayvenhurst Demos, ist die Produktion hier unberührt und präsentiert Jacksons Stimme in sublimer Form.

:wolke1: ...und hier kann man sie jetzt auch schon anhören: (post 9 von Lena)

http://www.mjjackson-forever.c…&postID=192861#post192861

• Liebe maja, es wird mal wieder Zeit für ein Extra :danke:
    von den :keinenglisch: Usern:

"When people's minds are clouded by anger or hatred, no angel can reach them". ~Michael Jackson~

• Abortion Papers??
    Habsch was verpasst?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

• Zitat

Abortion Papers??

...das Lied heisst wohl auch: "Song Groove"....ist auch schon drüben, zum anhören: Michael Jackson - Song Groove (aka Abortion Papers)