Brad Sundberg Interview mit MJJC

• MJJC Exclusive Q&A with Brad Sundberg - Read his Answers
    http://www.mjjcommunity.com/fo…Sundberg-Read-his-Answers

Brad Sundberg war fast zwei Jahrzehnte lang technischer Direktor von Michael. Vor kurzem hat er eine Reihe von Seminaren - "In The Studio With Michael Jackson" - angekündigt, die im Juni in New York stattfinden.
    Wir haben mit Brad Lundberg über Michaels Musik aber auch über seine "In The Studio With Michael Jackson"-Seminare gesprochen. Seine Antworten sind hier zu lesen.

Übersetzung wird nachgeliefert :gruß:
    ................................................................................

Brad Sundberg was technical director to Michael Jackson for nearly two decades. He recently announced a series of seminars to take place this June in New York called "In The Studio with Michael Jackson" ( thread here: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/th...ichael-Jackson)

We reached out to Brad Sundberg to talk about Michael's music as well as talk about his ""In The Studio With Michael Jackson" seminars. You can read his answers below. Also check the end of Q&A for information about seminars and how to get tickets to them.

MJJC: What exactly is the job of a technical director and what did this position entail, as you worked in this role on some of the MJ albums?

Brad Sundberg: There is the short answer and the long answer. The short answer is “be ready for anything.” The long answer would go something like this: My responsibility was to have whatever recording studio we worked in, anywhere in the world, be up to Michael Jackson quality. I worked very closely with Bruce Swedien (not just on MJ albums, but also Quincy Jones, Barbra Streisand, among others), and his attention to detail is second-to-none. Every microphone, every patch-point, every machine and device in the studio had to tested and (if possible) calibrated to perfection. It was not uncommon for this process alone to take 1-2 weeks before the projecting would even start. The funny thing is that so few production teams do this, yet it is a vital part of the reason our projects sounded so good.

Additionally, I would be involved in day-to-day recording, setting up microphones, headphones, booking studios, keeping tapes organized, getting Michael’s hot water ready for his vocals, transcribing Michael’s lyrics for the liner notes, even making coffee! With various production teams working on the same project, it made for long yet very rewarding days. The hard work and dedication was also very rewarding in that I was privileged to see and be a part of so much musical history being created.

MJJC: Were you a fan of Michael's before you started working on his team back in the Captain EO days?

Brad Sundberg: As I kid growing up in Santa Cruz, CA in the 70s, I listened to a lot of music: Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, etc., but I also loved dance music like Abba, The BeeGees, Gloria Gaynor, Blondie, Donna Summer and of course Michael Jackson. I found myself sort of “dissecting” songs as I listened to them, because I wanted to understand every sound, every reverb and effect. I played the “Thriller” album until it was scratched and worn out, so I bought another copy. The depth of sound blew me away, even before I understood recording. Yes, I was a fan.

MJJC: What are your top 3 favorite songs from Michael and why?

Brad Sundberg: That’s a tough one, but here goes:

1) Human nature. I have always loved that song, and my friend Steve Porcaro knows it. We recorded a follow-up to it called “Someone Put Your Hand Out,” but it didn’t quite make the “Dangerous” album.

2) Smooth Criminal. The bass line, the groove, David Williams insane rhythm guitar, Jerry Hey’s horn section, Quincy directing this who’s-who of musicians and Michael front and center… it’s an amazing piece of work! I wish you could have been there.

3) Lady In My Life. It was never a single, but what a record. Speaking from a technical standpoint, it is like a 5-minute recording class. Every sound is pure and simple. From a musical standpoint, I am a huge fan of Rod Temperton. I have worked with Rod for years, and he is pure genius. Beautiful song.

4) I know, you only asked for 3, but I’m feeling generous. Streetwalker. This is the little engine that could. That song blew me away every time I heard it, but Quincy didn't like it. I remember driving home from the studio one night after Michael recorded the lead vocal, and I was listening to it in my car, with the sunroof open at like 3 in the morning. I nearly blew the speakers out, singing along at the top of my lungs. It may not be the most well-crafted songwriting, but that groove grabs you and will not let you go.

It isn't fair to have a list than doesn't include Will You Be There, Who Is It, Earth Song, Stranger In Moscow, Billie Jean, Startin’ Something, She’s Out Of My Life, Jam, etc. I never was good at following the rules.

MJJC: You said Michael commissioned you to bring music to virtually every corner of Neverland. What kind of music was played on the grounds of Neverland? What types of music was on the playlists that Michael created for those particular areas of the ranch?

Brad Sundberg: I don’t want to give too much away, but there was one unbreakable rule at Neverland: Michael would not allow his music to be played, despite my protests. But he was the boss, so his vote was stronger than mine.

The grounds (around the lake, main house, guest houses, etc.) played a custom playlist of classical and Disney favorites. In the amusement park he selected songs by Janet, Yes and Joe Satriani. Seriously. Even some Van Halen and Led Zeppelin was selected on certain rides. In the horse area and petting zoo behind the amusement park we went with more traditional cowboy music. The trains also played primarily classical music.

MJJC: Of all the songs that you worked on with MJ in the studio, what was your favorite? Or what song had a creative process, from the demos to the finished song, that was impressive and just blew you away?

Brad Sundberg: Another tough one, because there are so many. I think I will go with Man in the mirror. I was still learning my way around the studio, and it was an honor to be asked to sit in and watch, learn and help on the Bad album.

Man in the mirror was such a big song, such a huge production we all knew it was unstoppable. I was able to see the initial track being recorded, the various musicians bringing their talents, the layers of vocal harmonies, the Andre Crouch choir, and finally the commanding lead vocals with Siedah and Michael. There was so much talent in Westlake Studio D during that time that it was mind-blowing. Bruce and Michael would play that song at full, and I mean full volume (118 db) to any guest that stopped by. People would be speechless, sometimes teary, when the final note rung out.

• MJJC: Can you tell us in detail exactly how the demo process was? What would MJ say to you after playing his ideas and how involved were the rest of you besides MJ; did you just do everything he said or was it collaboration with him listening to your input ideas with the arrangements?

Brad Sundberg: There was no regular or exact way the demos came to be, but it was not uncommon for Michael to ask one of us to work with him after a session on a new song.

We would bring in a keyboard player/programmer (John Barnes, Michael Boddicker, Larry Williams, Rhett Lawrence, Brad Buxer) and Michael would sing the groove and rhythm tracks to us. The programmer would translate Michael’s request into the drum machine. The bass and melody line would be added. Usually we would record a scratch vocal, and some harmony vocals, just for reference. The whole process might take 3 or 4 hours, and the song was born. It was very collaborative, and many ideas were accepted and recorded. Not every idea was kept and used, but it was very much a group effort of kicking around ideas and trying them out.

MJJC: If you could describe the most difficult aspect on working as part of the production team on a Michael Jackson album- what would it be?

Brad Sundberg: SLEEP!!! The hours were rough, as I would typically be at the studio 2 hours before anyone else, and quite often 2-3 hours after everyone left. My day usually started around 9-10 am, and often lasted until 2 am, and I lived about 40 minutes from the studio. That’s not bad for a few days, but try it for 10 -14 months. Still, I honestly loved going to work. Once in the studio, the teams were great to work with. Good food, beautiful studios, great music, incredible talent – I didn't have a lot to complain about.

MJJC: Which project during your time working with Michael, would you say has impacted your career the most?

Brad Sundberg: Dangerous. It was a transitional time for me. I was running my installation business BSUN Media Systems (which I really enjoy), and working in the studio at the same time. Quincy was not part of the project, which felt odd. The music industry and what the public was listening to was changing, so Michael used three production teams on the project, which was brilliant.

On a technical level, we were making and breaking all of the rules with more tracks, more studios, bigger mixes, etc. I think the song Jam was something like 160 tracks on 4-tape machines, which had to mixed on 2 consoles in 2 studios at the same time. It was nuts, but we made it happen. I suppose I would say it impacted my career (both in and out of the studio) in terms of not being afraid to try anything, and push for perfection all the time.

MJJC: Over the years, working on the albums from Bad to Blood on the Dance Floor, how did MJ mature or change? How did he improve?

Brad Sundberg: During Captain Eo he was still almost a kid, just 5 years older than me. I can honestly say that his humor, his level of trust, his commitment to excellence, and his love of performing and creating didn't change or diminish, if anything it blossomed with age. I think in the later albums he started experimenting with songs and sounds like Morphine and Ghosts. Darker themes, but great grooves.
    MJJC: How did MJ work in the album selection stages, how did he choose the songs for his albums? Do you have some inside info about what and Why the songs we know got chosen and not the ones that weren't? And are there any good examples of songs that almost made the cut on any album that we haven`t heard that you thought could have been a super hit today?

Brad Sundberg: The infamous cork board!! On every album I recall, he would have a cork-board on an easel in his lounge/office. Every song title was written on a 3 x 5 index card, and they would be tacked to the board, in order of strongest to weakest. These would move around on the board as new parts were added, new songs recorded, etc. Generally, depending on the project, this was Quincy/Michael/Bruce driven. Once the 15 or songs would be chosen, the board was used more for song-order on the album.

As for songs that almost made it: My personal favorites were Streetwalker, Someone put your hand out, and Monkey Business.

MJJC: Do you remember any of Michael's songs that remain unreleased to this day and if yes, which ones are your favorites? Can you tell us a little about these unreleased songs?

Brad Sundberg: Sorry – I know many songs, but I am going to pass on that one.

MJJC: How good was Michael at operating the buttons and stuff in the studio, would he get more into that after you worked with him for some years?

Brad Sundberg: Michael was not technical at all. Zero! He might nudge a fader now and then, but he was not adjusting EQs or reverb settings. That said, I do think the studio was so comfortable for him, almost like going home. It was very safe and a place he could just work, laugh and be himself.

MJJC: How many instruments could MJ really play? Which instruments were those and how good was he? (Honestly)

Brad Sundberg: He could play melodies on a keyboard, but I wouldn't call him a great player. Keep in mind when you have Greg Phillinganes and Randy Kerber on speed-dial, you don’t really need much more. Before my time he played the bottle-sound percussion on “Don’t Stop.” Michael’s instrument was his voice – we had plenty of talent to handle everything else.

MJJC: What did your tour prep for MJ's tours consist of?

Brad Sundberg: Tour prep was the time after the album was released (or in pressing), and the band was in rehearsals. Essentially we had to re-work the songs to make them easier for Michael to sing and perform them show after show. This is something I go into considerable detail discussing in my seminars.

MJJC: Please tell us more about “Keep the Faith” and how you had to scrap the original version and re-record a new version in an all-night session?

Brad Sundberg: Sorry I need to pass on that one for now, as it is one that I dig into in the seminar. I can’t give too much away! : )

MJJC: We would love to hear a story based on personal experience working with MJ. What is one of your most memorable?

Brad Sundberg: He was remarkably curious, and loved my daughters. When my daughter Amanda was just a toddler, my wife Debbie would bring her into the studio (during Dangerous) so we could see each other once in a while. Michael would be on the floor with Amanda, on her blanket, playing with toys and characters. He would say, “She’s in her own little world isn’t she?”

Another time we delivered one of the trains to the ranch. I had been installing a huge music system on the train, so it would be ready when Michael first saw it. He was beyond excited, laughing and smiling as we got it fired up. Deb and Amanda were at the ranch that day, and he held Amanda’s hand as the train made its inaugural circle around the ranch. He could not stop smiling.

MJJC: What is the fondest memory that you have of Michael (as a human being, not as an artist?)

Brad Sundberg: Make-A-Wish Foundation. When Neverland was ready for guests, we would start seeing guests from all over the world, who wanted to spend time with Michael. Many of these young guests were part of the Make-A-Wish program, and they were gravely ill. For Michael to take them on a tour a ranch, let them touch a giraffe or ride on the Ferris Wheel goes way beyond what many people are willing to do. This was their final wish, and he was making it happen. I remember their faces, their grateful parents, and knowing that there would be immeasurable grief in their future. Michael was giving of his time, which was a huge gift.

• MJJC: Did Michael play some pranks on you? Any funny story that you can tell us?

Brad Sundberg: It isn’t really a prank, but there is a funny memory I sometimes share. I have zero dance skills, yet I love dance music. It was very common for us to be working on a song like The way you make me feel, Jam, Bad, Streetwalker, etc., and I would be doing a head-bob to the beat. Michael would burst out laughing, saying “Brad is groovin’!,” I couldn’t’ help it… the music was so strong! This was part of the reason he started calling me “Really Really Brad.” I loved his teasing, because he was so good-natured and light-hearted.

MJJC: In your memoir you say, "I could write page after page of simple acts of kindness I have seen firsthand." Can you remember a few? It's always warms fans' hearts to hear such stories.

Brad Sundberg: I already mentioned the Make-A-Wish visits on the ranch, but we also had visits in the studio from his friends and fans. We had some fans outside of the studio in New York during HIStory, and he brought them in a for a tour and some autographs. During the recording of a kid’s choir in New York, he had me dress as Santa and we gave them all Christmas gifts. When one of our assistant engineers was going in major surgery, we had a huge family dinner in the studio in his honor, and Michael showered him with gifts and movies. But again, he did these things in person, which made it all the more meaningful.

MJJC: How did Michael change over the years, according to your impression? (I don't mean physically, or his alleged "eccentricities". I mean in your personal communication with him what kind of changes in his character did you feel?)

Brad Sundberg: I was not his best friend, but I like to think I was a trusted friend. During those years I did not see any change in his character, in his child-like love of music, movies, fantasy, architecture, paintings, games, laughter, nature, etc. I don’t remember a single time of him walking into the studio or seeing him at the ranch or on stage at Radio City Music Hall where he didn't greet me with a hug. The Michael I knew didn’t change, even as the world did.

MJJC: What has inspired you to come forward and share your experiences working with Michael, with his fans?

Brad Sundberg: After Michael died, I read an article in a magazine about how crazy it was working with Michael: Chimps and Elephant-Man bones and snakes and so on. I didn’t know the author, nor had he ever been to the studio or the ranch. It was always un-named sources and tabloid vomit. I got tired of the press and people who wanted to make a quick buck saying and writing whatever they wanted, with no shred of truth behind their words. I wrote a few articles about my years with Michael, and they were well-received.

A group of fans in Paris approached me and asked me to put together a seminar and really explore our years in the studio and at the ranch. I began writing a book (currently in the works), which tries to recap a story that took 18 years to live. Being totally honest, I want to try to document what it was like to work with one of the most unique entertainers in modern history. No speculation, no deep theories, just an introduction to someone I had great respect for and considered a friend. Yes, it might be for the fans, but it is also for my kids, and maybe Michael’s kids. I want them to know what it was like to be there, and to be part of such an amazing journey.

MJJC: What can fans hope to walk away with from your "In the Studio with Michael Jackson” seminars? What will be the highlights of the seminars in NYC and in Paris?

Brad Sundberg: I am hoping the above answers give you a clue. I was part of something very special. I wasn’t special, I was just part of an amazing team, at an amazing time. No two seminars are exactly alike. New memories surface, new stories are told. I hope when someone leaves the room after the seminar, they feel as though I have introduced them to a friend.

MJJC: Michael has fans in everywhere and unfortunately despite the desire to attend, many fans will not be able going to seminar because of the distance, are there plans to share the content in a book or do other seminars at different locations around the world?

Brad Sundberg: Yes, and yes! The book is in the works, but the crazy thing is that the seminars actually help bring those memories back into focus, so I want to do a few more before the book is finished. We are offering seminars in New York and Paris this year, with groups in Germany, Norway and the UK also expressing great interest. I hope to have a really cool one in LA in January, at Westlake, where it all started.

MJJC: Do you have anything you want to say to the members of MJJCommunity or Michael Jackson fans in general?

Brad Sundberg: Michael truly loved his fans. There is no tribute show or seminar or movie that can replace the talent that he was born with. I was blessed to have known him, and I cherish the memories of watching him practice a circular moonwalk in the studio, or singing scales with Seth, or watching him from the wings on stage in front of 100,000 screaming fans. I can hear his laughter as if he were sitting across the room from me. He was a professional, a perfectionist, an entertainer, a singer, a dancer, a dad and a friend. I miss him, and I know you do also. Thanks for letting me share a few memories with you.

• ..dann guck mal in post 1: :lg:

Zitat

Übersetzung wird nachgeliefert
    ................................................................................

• Wunderschön, jetzt müsste man nur noch wissen, wann genau die Termine der Seminare sind !!!!! Ist er auf Facebook ? ich schau mal,Paris ist ja nicht so weit weg, und zu Michaels Geburtstag bin ich ja in New York, aber da sind sie wohl im Juni......würde mich schon interessieren.

You were the rhythm,
    You were the sound of a crescendo,
    You showed us Heaven and Light,
    you faced the fear.

• Daniela, dann schau mal hier. Am 29 Juni in NY und dann nochmal am 13. Oktober in Paris. Ich habe ihn angeschrieben, ob er auch SEminare in Deutschland plant und ich stelle gern mal seine Antwort hier rein und würde mich freuen, wenn es LEute gibt, die da evtl. Kontakte bzw. Möglichkeiten haben.

Hier erfährt man mehr:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/fo…usic-With-Michael-Jackson

• hab den link gerade noch reinkopiert, wo man mehr erfährt. Schön, dass du begeistert bist, ich bin es auch und habe gleich mal Dominik angeschrieben, ob er kein Tonstudio kennt. Leider bisher noch keine Antwort....

Man muss aber auch sagen, dass die Seminare ganz schön teuer sind....Daher wäre es echt genial, wenn man Kosten für Flug und Hotel sparen oder eingrenzen könnte. Paris ist ja auch nicht so günstig....

• Okay, das sind die Preise für NY, und wenn man vor dem 1. Mai bucht, dann kostet es 179 Dollar, das geht noch, finde ich. Das sind ja ganz seltene kostbare Aufnahmen, und so ein Studio zu mieten ist sauteuer, das weiß ich.

Ich hab ihn angeschrieben wegen Infos zu Paris, oder weß jemand schon was darüber ? Hab ich da jetzt nicht gefunden.

You were the rhythm,
    You were the sound of a crescendo,
    You showed us Heaven and Light,
    you faced the fear.

• So...jetzt die Übersetzung... :hkuss:

MJJC: Was genau ist die Aufgabe eines technischen Direktors, und was beinhaltete diese Position, als du an einigen der MJ Alben mitgearbeitet hast?

Brad Sundberg: Es gibt dazu eine kurze und eine lange Antwort. Die kurze Antwort lautet: „sei für alles bereit“. Die lange Antwort geht ungefähr so: Meine Verantwortung lag darin, das, egal in welchem Studio wir arbeiteten, überall auf der Welt, es immer der Michael Jackson Qualität entsprach. Ich arbeitete eng mit Bruce Swedin zusammen (nicht nur bei MJ Alben, auch bei Quincy Jones, Barbara Streisand, unter anderen) und seine Detailgenauigkeit ist unvergleichlich. Jedes Mikrophon, jede Patch-Point Verbindung, jede Maschine und jedesGerät im Studio musste getestet werden(wenn das möglich war) und perfekt kalibriert werden. Es war nicht ungewöhnlich, dass dieser Prozess alleine schon zwei Wochen dauerte, bevor das Projekt überhaupt begann. Das lustige ist, dass nur wenige Produktions-Teams das tun, obwohl es ein wichtiger Teil davon ist, dass unsere Projekte so gut klingen.
    Ausserdem war ich noch an den täglichen Aufnahmen beteiligt, richtete Mikrophone ein, Kopfhörer, ich buchte Studios, organisierte die Bänder und stellte Michaels heisses Wasser bereit wenn er sang, ich übertrug Michaels Lyrics in das CD-Begleitheft und ich kochte sogar Kaffee. Weil viele Produktions Teams am selben Projekt arbeiteten, waren das lange aber auch bereichernde Tage. Die harte Arbeit und die Hingabe war auch sehr bereichernd, weil ich das Privileg hatte, zu sehen und Teil davon zu sein, wie solche Musikgeschichte erschaffen wurde.

MJJC: Warst du Fan von Michael bevor du angefangen hast, in seinem Team zur Zeit von Captain EO zu arbeiten?

Brad Sundberg: Als ein Kind, was in den 1970ern in Santa Cruz, CA, aufwuchs, hörte ich sehr viel Musik: Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, etc., aber ich mochte auch Tanzmusik wie Abba, The BeeGees, Glorya Gaynor, Blondie, Donna Summer und natürlich Michael Jackson. Ich merkte, dass ich die Songs „zerlegte“ wenn ich sie hörte, weil ich jeden Sound, jeden Hall und jeden Effekt verstehen wollte. Ich spielte das Thriller Album solange ab, bis es zerkratzt und abgenutzt war, und dann kaufte ich mir ein neues. Die Tiefe des Sound warf mich um, noch bevor ich was vom Aufnehmen verstand. Ja, ich war Fan.

MJJC: Was sind deine 3 Top Songs von Michael und warum?

Brad Sundberg: Schwere Frage – also dann:
    1) Human nature. Diesen Song habe ich immer geliebt, und mein Freund Steven Pocaro weiß das. Wir nahmen einen Nachfolger davon auf, er heißt „Someone Put Your Hand Out“, aber er schaffte es nicht auf das Dangerous-Album.
    2) Smooth Criminal. Die Basslinie, der Groove, die verrückte Rhythmusgitarre von David Williams, Jerry Heys Hörner, wie Quincy dieses Who-Is-Who der Musiker leitete und Michael dabei an vorderster Front... es ist ein erstaunliches Werk! Ich wünschte, ihr hättet dabei sein können.
    3) Lady In My Life. Es war nie eine Single, aber was für eine Aufnahme! Vom technischen Standpunkt aus gesehen, ist es eine 5-Minütige Lehrstunde über Aufnahmetechnik. Jeder Klang ist pur und rein. Aus musikalischer Sicht bin ich eingroßer Fan von Rod Temperton. Ich habe jahrelang mit Rod zusammen gearbeitet, ein wahres Genie. Wunderschöner Song.
    4) Ich weiß, ihr wolltet nur drei wissen, aber ich bin mal großzügig. Streetwalker. Das ist wie „ the little engine that could“ (Anmerkung: ein Buch über eine kleine blaue Eisenbahn wovon mir der deutsche Titel nicht einfällt – oder es heisst was ganz anderes :-D ...) Dieser Song hat mich jedes mal umgehauen, wenn ich ihn hörte, aber Quincy mochte ihn nicht. Ich erinnere mich daran, wie ich in der Nacht, nachdem Michael die Vocals aufgenommen hatte, aus dem Studio nach Hause fuhr, und ihn im Auto mit offenem Dach, morgens um 3 Uhr hörte. Fast sind die Lautsprecher geplatzt, und ich sang aus vollem Hals. Es ist vielleicht nicht der am besten geschriebene Song, aber dieser Groove packt dich und lässt dich nicht mehr los.

Es ist auch nicht fair, eine Liste zu haben ohne Will You Be There, Who Is It, Earth Song, Stranger In Moscow, Billie Jean, Startin’ Something, She’s Out Of My Life, Jam, etc. Ich war noch nie gut darin, mich an die Regeln zu halten.

MJJC: Du sagtest, Michael habe dich beauftragt in wirklich jede Ecke von Neverland Musik zu bringen. Welche Art Musik wurde auf Neverland gespielt? Welche Musikstücke waren auf den Playlists, die Michael für bestimmte Bereiche der Ranch erstellte?

Brad Sundberg: Ich möchte nicht zuviel erzählen, aber es gab eine Regel auf Neverland: Michael wollte nicht, dass seine Musik – trotz meinem Protest – gespielt wurde. Aber er war der Boss, deshalb hatte seine Stimme mehr Gewicht als meine. Auf dem Grundstück (um den See, dem Haupthaus, den Gäste-Units) lief eine Auswahl an klassischen Stücken und den beliebtesten Disney-Songs. Für den Vergnügungspark suchte er Stücke von Janet, Yes und Joe Satriani aus. Auch ein paar Sachen von Van Halen und Led Zeppelin wurden für besondere Karussells ausgewählt. Im Bereich hinter dem Vergnügungspark, wo die Pferde und der Streichelzoo waren, hatten wir mehr traditionelle Cowboy Musik. In den Zügen spielte auch vorwiegend klassische Musik.

MJJC: Was war allen Songs, an denen du mit Michael im Studio gearbeitet hast, dein liebster? Oder bei welchem Song war der kreative Prozess zwischen Demos und dem fertiggestellten Song so beeindruckend, dass es dich umgehauen hat?

Brad Sundberg: Auch eine schwierige Frage, weil es da so viele gibt. Ich denke, ich nehme Man in the mirror. Ich war immer noch in meiner Lernphase im Studio, und es war eine Ehre für mich gefragt zu werden, um dabei zusein, um zu beobachten, zu lernen und beim BAD Album zu helfen. Man in the mirror war so ein gewaltiger Song, eine Riesen-Produktion, und wir wussten alle, er war nicht aufzuhalten. Ich konnte sehen, wie die ersten Aufnahmen gemacht wurden, die verschiedenen Musiker, die ihr Talent einbrachten, die vielen Lagen der Gesangs-Harmonien, der Andre Crouch Chor und schliesslich der eindrucksvolle Lead-Gesang von Siedah und Michael. Es gab während dieser Zeit im Westlake Studio B so viel Talent, dass es überwältigend war. Bruce und Michael spielten diesen Song in voller Lautstärke, ich meine wirklich volle Lautstärke (118db), für jeden Gast, der vorbeischaute. Die Leute waren sprachlos und manchmal in Tränen aufgelöst, wenn die letzte Note verklang.

MJJC: Kannst du uns ganz genau erzählen, wie der Demo-Prozess war? Was sagte MJ, nachdem du seine Ideen gespielt hattest und inwieweit waren die anderen – ausser MJ – daran beteiligt; hast du einfach alles gemacht, was er sagte oder war es mehr eine Kollaboration, wobei er deinen Ideen mit den Arrangements zuhörte?

Brad Sundberg: Es gab keinen einheitlichen Ablauf, wie die Demos entstanden, aber es war nicht unüblich für MJ, einen von uns zu fragen, nach einer Session mit ihm an einem neuen Song zu arbeiten. Wir hatten dann einen Keyboard Spieler bzw. Programmierer (John Barnes, Michael Boddicker, Larry Williams, Rhett Lawrence, Brad Buxer) und Michael sang uns den Groove und die Rhythmus-Tracks vor. Der Programmierer setzte Michaels Vorstellungen mit der Drum-Machine um. Dann wurden Bass und Melodie dazu gefügt. Normalerweise nahmen wir eine raue Version der Vokals auf und auch ein paar Harmonien, nur als Andeutung. Dieser ganze Prozess dauerte etwa 3 – 4 Stunden, und dann war der Song geboren. Es war sehr kooperativ und es wurden viele Ideen angenommen und aufgenommen. Nicht jede Idee wurde auch beibehalten und benutzt, aber es war schon eine Arbeit in der Gruppe, mit Ideen herumzuspielen und auszuprobieren.

• MJJC: Was würdest du als den schwierigsten Aspekt dabei beschreiben, als Teil des Produktions-Teams einem Michael Jackson Album zu arbeiten?

Brad Sundberg: SCHLAFEN! Die Stunden waren hart, weil ich normalerweise schon zwei Stunden vor allen anderen im Studio war, und auch oft noch zwei bis drei Stunden, nachdem jeder wieder gegangen war. Mein Tag begann normalerweise etwa um 9 oder 10 Uhr morgens, und dauert oft bis Nachts um 2.00 Uhr, und ich wohnte etwa 40 Minuten vom Studio entfernt. Das ist ok, ein paar Tage lang, aber versuche das mal über 10 – 14 Monate zu tun. Trotzdem habe ich es wirklich geliebt, zur Arbeit zu gehen. Wenn man erstmal im Studio war, war es klasse mit dem Team zu arbeiten. Es gab gutes Essen, tolle Studios, großartige Musik, unbeschreibliches Talent – es gibt wirklich nicht viel, worüber ich mich beschweren könnte.

MJJC: Welches Projekt hatte während der Zeit, die du mit Michael zusammen gearbeitet hast, den größten Einfluss auf deine Karriere?

Brad Sundberg: Dangerous. Es war eine Übergangszeit für mich. Ich betrieb mein eigenes Geschäft BSUN Media Systems (was ich wirklich genoss) und arbeitete gleichzeitig im Studio. Quincy war an diesem Projekt nicht beteiligt, was sich komisch anfühlte. Die Musikindustrie und die Musik, die die Leute hörten, veränderte sich, also benutzte Michael für das Projekt drei Produktions-Teams, und das war brillant. Auf technischer Ebene durchbrachen wir alle Regeln, mit noch mehr Tonspuren, mehr Studios, größeren Mixen etc. Ich glaube, beim Song Jam waren es etwa 160 Tonspuren, auf Tape-4 Maschinen, die man auf zwei Konsolen abmischen musste, gleichzeitig in zwei Studios. Es war irre, aber wir machten es wahr. Ich schätze, das beeinflusste meine Karriere (sowohl im Studio als auch ausserhalb) insofern, dass ich keine Angst habe etwas auszuprobieren, und immerzu nach Perfektion strebe.

MJJC: Wie hat Michael sich über die Jahre, und die Arbeit an Bad bis hin zu Blood On The Dancefloor, entwickelt oder verändert? Wie hat er sich verbessert?

Brad Sundberg: Während Captain EO war er fast noch ein Kind, nur 5 Jahre älter als ich. Ich kann aufrichtig sagen, dass sein Humor, sein Mass an Vertrauen, seine Hingabe an vorzügliche Leistungen und seine Liebe für das Performen und Kreieren sich nicht veränderten oder verschwanden, im Gegenteil, sie sind mit zunehmendem Alter noch mehr aufgeblüht. Ich denke, er begann bei den späteren Alben mit Songs und Sounds, wie bei Morphine und Ghosts zu experimentieren. Dunklere Themen, aber ein großartiger Groove.

MJJC: Wie arbeitete Michael an der Auswahl für die Alben, wie suchte er die Songs aus? Hast du dazu Insiderinformationen, und warum die uns bekannten Lieder ausgewählt wurden, und die anderen nicht? Und gibt es Beispiele für Songs, die es beinahe auf ein Album geschafft hätten, die wir noch nicht gehört haben, von denen du aber denkst, sie könnten heute große Hits sein?

Brad Sundberg: Die berühmte Pinnwand!! Bei jedem Album erinnere ich mich daran, dass er eine Pinnwand auf einer Staffelei in seinem Büro hatte. Jeder Songtitel war auf eine Karteikarte geschrieben und an die Wand getackert, sortiert vom stärksten bis zum schwächsten. Sie wurden auf der Wand herumgeschoben, wenn wir neue Teile hinzufügten, neue Songs aufnahmen etc. Normalerweise wurde das, abhängig vom Projekt, von Quincy/Michael/ Bruce gesteuert. Wenn die 15 Songs einmal ausgewählt waren, wurde die Pinnwand benutzt um die Reihenfolge auf dem Album auszuwählen.
    Zu den Songs, die es beinahe geschafft hätten: Meine persönlichen Favoriten waren Streetwalker, Someone put your hand out, und Monkey Business.

MJJC: Erinnerst du dich an irgendwelche Songs von Michael, die bis heute unveröffentlicht sind und wenn ja, welche davon magst du am liebsten? Kannst du uns etwas zu diesen unveröffentlichten Songs erzählen?

Brad Sundberg: Sorry – ich kenne viele Songs, aber ich lasse diese Frage aus.

MJJC: Wie gut kannte Michael sich mit den Knöpfen und Dingen imStudio aus, hat er sich mehr da hineingearbeitet, nachdem du mehrere Jahre mit ihm gearbeitet hast?

Brad Sundberg: Michael war überhaupt kein Techniker. Null. Er konnte vielleicht ab und zu an einem Fader schieben, aber er stellte nicht die Eqs oder den Hall ein. Abgesehen davon denke ich aber, das das Studio sehr angenehm für ihn war, fast wie ein Zuhause. Es war ein sehr sicherer Ort und ein Ort wo er einfach arbeiten, lachen und er selbst sein konnte.

MJJC: Wie viele Instrumente konnte MJ wirklich spielen? Welche Instrumente waren das und wie gut war er? (Ehrlich)

Brad Sundberg: Er konnte Melodien auf dem Keyboard spielen, aber ich würde ihn nicht als großartigen Spieler bezeichnen. Bedenkt auch, dass du Greg Phillinganes und Randy Kerber auf Abruf hattest, dann braucht man wirklich nicht mehr viel mehr. Vor meiner Zeit spielte er die Flaschen-Sound Percussion bei „Don't Stop“. Michaels Instrument war seine Stimme – für alles andere hatten wir jede Menge Talente.

MJJC: Aus was bestand deine Tour-Vorbereitung für eine MJ-Tour?

Brad Sundberg: Tour-Vorbereitung war die Zeit, nachdem ein Album veröffentlicht war (oder zumindest im Presswerk) und die Band mit den Proben angefangen hatte. Im wesentlichen mussten wir die Songs so bearbeiten, dass sie für Michael in den Shows leichter zu singen und zu performen waren. Darüber werde ich ausführlicher in meinen Seminaren sprechen.

MJJC: Bitte erzähle uns etwas mehr über Keep the Faith und wie du die Original-Version verwerfen musstest und in einer Session, die über die ganze Nacht ging, eine neue Version aufnehmen musstest.

Brad Sundberg: Sorry, diese Frage möchte ich jetzt auch überspringen, weil es auch etwas ist, worüber ich im Seminar spreche. Ich kann nicht zuviel preisgeben! :)

• MJJC: Wir würden gerne eine Geschichte hören, die auf deiner persönlichen Erfahrung in der Zusammenarbeit mit MJ beruht. Welche hast du in Erinnerung?

Brad Sundberg: Er war sehr neugierig, und er mochte meine Töchter. Als meine Tochter Amanda noch ein Baby war, brachte meine Frau Debbie sie mit ins Studio (während Dangerous), so dass wir uns ab und zu mal sehen konnten. Michael hockte dann mit Amanda am Boden, auf ihrer Decke, und spielte mit ihren kleinen Spielzeugfiguren. Er sagte dann immer: „Sie ist ganz in ihrer eigenen kleinen Welt.“
    Ein anderes Mal lieferten wir einen dieser Züge auf die Ranch. Ich hatte darin ein riesiges Musik-System installiert, und es war einsatzbereit, als Michael den Zug zum ersten mal sah. Er war mehr wie begeistert, er lachte und grinste als wir es einschalteten. Deb und Amanda waren an diesem Tag auf der Ranch, und er hielt Amandas Hand als der Zug seine erste Fahrt über die Ranch machte. Er konnte garnicht aufhören, zu lächeln.

MJJC: Was ist deine liebste Erinnerung an Michael (als Mensch, nicht als Künstler)?

Brad Sundberg: Die Make A Wish Foundation. Als Neverland für Besucher bereit war, hatten wir Gäste aus der ganzen Welt, die Zeit mit Michael verbringen wollten. Viele dieser jungen Besucher waren Teil des Make A Wish-Programms, und sie waren schwer krank. Wenn Michael mit ihnen eine Tour über die Ranch machte, sie eine Giraffe streicheln lies oder eine Fahrt mit dem Riesenrad machte, war das viel mehr, als die meisten Menschen je tun würden. Es war ihr letzter Wunsch, und er lies ihn wahr werden. Ich erinnere mich an ihre Gesichter, an ihre dankbaren Eltern und ich wußte, dass es in ihrer Zukunft noch sehr große Trauer geben würde. Michael schenkte ihnen seine Zeit, und das war ein sehr großes Geschenk.

MJJC: Hat Michael dir Streiche gespielt? Hast du irgendwelche lustigen Geschichten, die du uns erzählen kannst?

Brad Sundberg: Nicht direkt ein Streich, aber es gibt eine lustige Erinnerung, die ich manchmal teile. Ich habe null Talent zum Tanzen, aber ich liebe trotzdem Tanzmusik. Es war ganz normal für uns, an Songs wie The way you make me feel, Jam, Bad, Streetwalker etc. zu arbeiten, und ich machte mit dem Kopf rhytmische Bewegungen zu dem Beat . Michael platzte vor Lachen und sagte: „Brad groovt!“ Ich konnte nichts dagegen tun... die Musik brachte dich dazu! Das war auch mit der Grund, warum er mich „Really, Really Brad“ nannte. Ich mochte seine Neckereien, denn er war so freundlich und unbeschwert.

MJJC: In deinen Memoiren sagst du: „Ich könnte Seiten damit füllen, über liebenswürdige Taten zu schreiben, die ich selbst gesehen habe.“ Kannst du dich an ein paar davon erinnern? Für die Fans sind solche Geschichten jedes mal herzerwärmend.

Brad Sundberg: Ich erwähnte ja schon die Make A Wish Foundation auf der Ranch, aber wir hatten auch im Studio Besuche von Fans und Freunden. Während HIStory waren ein paar Fans draussen vor dem Studio in New York, und er holte sie herein für eine Studio-Tour und sie bekamen Autogramme. Während wir mit einem Kinderchor in New York aufnahmen, sollte ich mich wie Santa Claus verkleiden und wir gaben all den Kindern Weihnachtsgeschenke. Als einer unserer Toningenieure eine größere Operation hatte, gab es im Studio ein großes Familien-Dinner zu seinen Ehren, und Michael überhäufte ihn mit Geschenken und Filmen. Aber ich betone es noch einmal, er tat diese Dinge ganz persönlich, und das macht sie alle noch viel bedeutender.

MJJC: Wie hat Michael sich nach deinem Eindruck über die Jahre verändert? (Ich meine damit nicht, sein Aussehen, oder seine angebliche „Exzentrik“. Ich meine damit, ob du Änderungen an seinem Charakter feststellen konntest)

Brad Sundberg: Ich war nicht sein engster Freund, aber ich denke, ich war ein Freund, dem er vertraute. Während dieser Jahre habe ich überhaupt keine Veränderungen seines Charakters festgestellt, auch nicht an seiner kindgleichen Liebe zur Musik, zum Film, Fantasie, Architektur, Malerei, Spielen, Lachen, Natur etc. Ich erinnere mich auch, dass ich ihm niemals begegnete - weder im Studio, noch auf der Ranch, auf der Bühne oder in der Radio Music Hall - ohne dass er mich mit einer Umarmung begrüßte. Der Michael, den ich kannte, hat sich nicht verändert, auch nicht als die Welt sich veränderte.

MJJC: Was hat dich dazu inspiriert, deine Erfahrungen mit Michael mit seinen Fans zu teilen?

Brad Sundberg: Nachdem Michael starb, las ich in einem Magazin einen Artikel darüber, wie verrückt es war, mit Michael zu arbeiten: es ging um Schimpansen und Knochen vom Elefantenmensch, Schlangen usw. Ich kannte den Autor nicht und er war auch nie im Studio oder auf der Ranch. Es bestand nur aus nichtgenannten Quellen und Tabloid-Auswurf. Ich wurde der Presse und den Leuten überdrüssig, die ein schnelles Geschäft machen wollten, indem sie schrieben, was sie wollten, ohne dass es auch nur einen Fetzen Wahrheit hinter ihren Worten gab. Ich schrieb ein paar Artikel über meine Jahre mit Michael, und sie wurden gut aufgenommen.
    In Paris trat eine Gruppe Fans an mich heran und fragte, ob ich ein Seminar zusammenstellen könne, um wirklich die Jahre im Studio und auf der Ranch zu erforschen. Ich begann ein Buch zu schreiben (momentan noch in Arbeit), wo ich versuche, eine Geschichte zu rekapitulieren, die 18 Jahre meines Lebens einnahm. Um ganz ehrlich zu sein, versuche ich zu dokumentieren, wie es war mit einem der einmaligsten Entertainer unserer Zeit zusammen zuarbeiten. Keine Spekulationen, keine großen Theorien, einfach nur eine Vorstellung von jemand, vor dem ich den größten Respekt habe und den als Freund bezeichnen durfte. Es mag für die Fans sein, aber es ist auch für meine Kinder, und vielleicht auch für Michaels Kinder. Ich möchte, dass sie alle wissen, wie es war, dabei zu sein und Teil einer so beeindruckenden Reise zu sein.

MJJC: Was können die Fans sich von deinem „In The Studio With Michael Jackson“ Seminar erhoffen? Was werden die Highlights der Seminare in NYC und Paris sein?

Brad Sundberg: Ich hoffe, die obigen Antworten sind ein Hinweis darauf. Ich war Teil von etwas ganz besonderem. Ich war nichts besonderes, ich war nur Teil eines erstaunlichen Teams zu einer erstaunlichen Zeit. Die Seminare sind nicht immer genau gleich. Manchmal tauchen neue Erinnerungen auf, und neue Geschichten werden erzählt. Ich hoffe, dass man sich, wenn nach dem Seminar den Raum verlässt, so fühlt, als hätte ich sie mit einem Freund bekannt gemacht.

MJJC: Michael hat überall Fans, und auch wenn man es gerne möchte, können viele Fans nicht an den Seminaren teilnehmen, weil sie zu weit entfernt sind. Gibt es Pläne, den Inhalt davon in einem Buch zu vermitteln, oder für weitere Seminare an verschiedenen Orten der Welt?

Brad Sundberg: Ja, und ja! Das Buch ist in Arbeit, und das verrückte ist, dass diese Seminare wirklich dabei helfen, die Erinnerungen wieder aufzufrischen, deshalb möchte ich noch ein paar mehr machen, bevor das Buch fertig ist. Wir bieten dieses Jahr Seminare in New York und Paris an, haben aber auch Gruppen aus Deutschland Norwegen und England, die auch großes Interesse daran haben. Ich hoffe, in LA wird es im Januar, im Westlake Studio, wo alles begann, ein wirklich cooles Seminar geben.

MJJC: Möchtest du den Mitgliedern der MJJ Community oder den Fans im allgemeinen noch etwas sagen?

Brad Sundberg: Michael liebte seine Fans wirklich. Es wird keine Tribute Show, keinen Film und kein Seminar geben können, was wirklich das Talent ersetzen kann, mit dem er geboren wurde. Ich war damit gesegnet, ihn zu kennen und ich liebe und ehre die Erinnerungen daran, gesehen zu haben, wie er den Moonwalk im Studio übte, oder mit Seth Tonleitern übte, oder als ich ihm von der Seite der Bühne zusah, wie er vor 100.000 kreischenden Fans stand. Ich kann sein Lachen hören, als ob er mir im Raum gegenüber sitzen würde. Er war sehr professionell, ein Perfektionist, ein Entertainer, ein Sänger, ein Tänzer, ein Daddy und ein Freund. Ich vermisse ihn, und ich weiß, ihr tut es auch. Danke, dass ich ein paar Erinnerungen mit euch teilen durfte.

• ...maja..meinen allerherzlichsten Dank für die tolle Übersetzung... :blume::cuddle: .ich hab den Original Text ja im großen Ganzen verstanden..aber erst jetzt durch deine Arbeit hier..aaach Mann..wenn ich das so lese und wirken lasse..bekomme ich feuchte Augen...wirklich.. :bettel:

Ich aber gelobte mir,
    mich niemals abstumpfen zu lassen
    und den Vorwurf der Sentimentalität
    niemals zu fürchten.

Albert Schweitzer

• Der erste Termin von "in The Studio" ist mittlerweile vorbei...und es gibt dazu ein paar schöne Reviews... hier eine davon
    http://www.damienshields.com

Ich werde später irgendwann noch paar Teile als Übersetzung nachliefern.. :Tova:

solange mal nur auf Englisch:

In The Studio With Michael Jackson: A MUST for fans of the King of Pop
    by DAMIEN SHIELDS posted on JULY 6, 2013

Last week, at Smash Studios in midtown New York, Michael Jackson’s long-time studio technician Brad Sundberg held two seminars, entitled “In The Studio With Michael Jackson”. Today I am bringing you some fascinating details from within those seminars which I hope will do the experience justice and encourage fans to attend future sessions.

For those who already intend on going to one (or more) of the future seminars – some of which are being planned for Orlando, Paris and Los Angeles – and would prefer to keep the details of the presentation a surprise; I suggest you stop reading now. For those who don’t intend on attending; keep reading. This article may very well change your mind.

Brad Sundberg was fortunate enough to have experienced musical greatness first-hand. Over the course of eighteen years, between 1985 and 2002, Sundberg worked intimately with the King of Pop; including on four albums, numerous short films, remixes and even on projects at Jackson’s Neverland Ranch.

Before the seminar officially begins Brad meets and greets the group with a smile and a handshake, while classic Michael Jackson tracks play in the background. Everyone then checks in, receiving a nice “In The Studio With Michael Jackson” travel mug, day bag/backpack, and a bottle of water. For obvious reasons, all phones, cameras and any other potential recording devices are surrendered. Once that’s been done it’s time for school; MJ school.

Brad opens with a quick informational about himself and his career. “He has a great way of talking,” commented one fan who attended, explaining that rather than using a schedule or reading from a script, he takes a more down-to-earth, off-the-cuff type of approach.

“He first and foremost says something to the effect of, ‘I’m just a regular tech guy. I was in the right place at the right time’,” recalls an attendee. “He told us, ‘I started as a “runner” getting burgers and coffee for the team’.”

He then introduces his daughter, Amanda, who operates a sound board and computer with audio and video samples at the ready. They have a cute banter between them. Brad is always asking her to cue the next fascinating clip he has in store to his audience. She’s always trying to keep her dad on course in an attempt to deliver all the information, tell all the stories, show all the video, and play all the audio within the allocated four hours – which ultimately, they couldn’t – even though the seminar went longer than it was scheduled to. Brad kept saying, “I just have to tell this 30 second story first.”

After all, he has so many!

The atmosphere in the studio was great. All in attendance had an amazing seat and view of the projector screen, which was quite large; probably six by six feet. You could pay more for a VIP pass, which allowed you priority entry and a seat in the first rows. VIP attendees also had the privilege of spending an additional hour or so with Brad where you could get more information, ask questions and even share Michael’s favourite meal.

Fans, of which there were approximately forty in total, were eager, hanging on Brad’s every word.

He brought along a fourteen-layer digital multitrack of “Bad” and spent fifteen minutes playing with it, showcasing Michael singing leads and backgrounds separately. He isolated, the horns and even David Williams on guitar.

“He created the most amazing remix right in front of your eyes. It was thrilling,” said one of the attendees.

Fans learned that the uptempo tracks recorded for the “Bad” album were originally around nine minutes in length and required some major trimming for the album. Once trimmed, the edits were sped up by 6% before being made public. The purpose of speeding the mixes up was to bring more excitement to them. As a result Michael’s voice sounded ever so slightly higher on the final album versions. Brad preferred the originals, pre-speeding them up.

Brad told the tale of recording the spoken intro to “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You”. They built a microphone into the head of a mannequin, which Brad showed the audience. To record the intro Michael hopped into a bed with the mannequin and spoke into its head. Brad wasn’t a fan of the results and radio and club DJs hated it, so they removed it from the next pressing.

MICHAEL & BRAD IN THE STUDIO
    Michael, being a perfectionist, was never satisfied with the “Bad” album. In fact, after they kicked of the Bad Tour, as they worked on radio edits, singles and dance mixes, they kept amended the album. Brad said that the version of “Bad” that came out in August 1987 was not exactly the same as the version that was issued merely months later. They just kept working on it; perfecting it.

Brad played three versions of “Streetwalker”, a track which was considered for the “Bad” album but was ultimate pipped at the post by “Another Part Of Me”, back-to-back. One was the version we know, from the 2001 “Bad” Special Edition and subsequent 2012 “Bad 25″ release. The other two were different, featuring an eerie ‘Wild West’ style intro and different ad libs.

Brad personally preferred “Streetwalker” over “Another Part Of Me”, as did Michael.

The completion of the “Bad” album and world tour in 1989 saw a changing of the guard in regards to the direction Michael wanted to take with his music. For starters, Quincy Jones would not serve as head producer on his newest studio venture. Instead, Michael spread the creative duties between a combination of collaborators; some new and some old.

Sundberg was invited back, as were the old firm Bruce Swedien, Bill Bottrell and Matt Forger. New on the scene was talented musician Brad Buxer.

The early sessions in 1989 and 1990 saw Michael working with producer Brian Loren. However, as the album evolved, Loren was seemingly phased out, being replaced by ‘New Jack Swing’ producer Teddy Riley.

As work on the project heated up the collaborative sessions became quite competitive. There were three studios in action at once; one headed by Bill Bottrell, one by Bruce Swedien and one by Teddy Riley. Brad would drift between Bottrell’s studio and Swedien’s, but wasn’t required in Riley’s. Michael would frequent between all three, often arriving with comments to rev the teams up. “Oh boy they got some smelly jelly going on in there,” he would tell the rival production groups, just to make sure they were on their toes.

Every team wanted their songs on the album.

Members of the group Toto were involved in much of Michael Jackson’s musical journey, including varying contributions to “Thriller”, “Bad”, “Dangerous” and even “History”. Steve Porcaro, a member of the group who had previously written the music to the song “Human Nature” from the “Thriller” album in 1982, had contributed a track that he hoped would make the cut of Michael’s latest endeavour.

The new track, “For All Time”, for which Michael recorded a demo in May of 1990, was Porcaro’s answer to “Human Nature”, eight years later. Brad explained that Steve would say, “Brad, I gotta get this on the album,” to which Brad would respond with something to the effect of, “As if I have any pull!”

“It was as if getting a song on a Michael Jackson album made you a millionaire all over again,” opined a fan. And it probably would have.

Michael, of course, loved the songs that he had personally written. They were his babies. But, if you could get his attention, if he fell in love with a song of yours, there was every chance it would make the final track list. Michael knew what he liked and he knew what would work.

Siedah Garrett is one songwriter who had been lucky enough to land a song on a Michael Jackson album.

In 1987, Michael recorded a rendition of her track “Man In The Mirror”, which she had co-written with Glen Ballard. The song ultimately featured on the “Bad” album, and following its release as a single in early 1988, shot to the top of the charts around the world, giving them a #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100.

• For his next new project, which would eventually become the “Dangerous” album, Michael was to record a piece he had co-written with Siedah and Glen; a gospel-driven track called “Keep The Faith”.

In the seminar Brad shared an amazing story about the recording of the track:

Michael loved “Keep The Faith” and always intended to include it in the new album. Michael and the team worked very hard, long hours on preparing the track, the music, everything. However, when belting out the final vocal, something happened that threw the entire song out of whack; Michael’s voice cracked.

Brad had never heard Michael’s voice crack before. Michael was really taken aback and got upset about it. Because his voice was cracking, the pitch of the song would need to be dropped in order for Michael to deliver the vocals the way he wanted to.

Everyone was supportive, and they started over.

The final version that we all know and love from the “Dangerous” album, Brad recalled, is Michael delivering the track as if to say “I’m sorry” and “Thank you.” He said you can hear it in his voice.

Brad told that Michael always had scalding, almost-boiling Evian water in the studio; for his voice. Michael would warm up for two hours before a session with his famous vocal coach, Seth Riggs. Brad missed that stuff the most, he said – just taking for granted Michael warming up, doing scales, or moonwalking in circles while they worked on something.

He broke down and got emotional a couple times throughout. Although Brad and Michael were professional colleagues; they were also close friends. Michael loved and trusted Brad, and Brad felt the same, repaying Michael with unconditional loyalty throughout the years.

Brad loved the feeling of the studio because it was a “dark cave”, like he, Michael and the team worked in back in the day. Sometimes Brad would ask if he could turn the lights all the way down because that’s how Michael recorded; with just a single light for the music stand.

Sometimes, however, the lack of light backfired in the studio. For example; whilst recording the original demo for “Dangerous”, Michael attempted to move the wall behind him. Unfortunately the legs became unstable and the wall ended up falling straight on Michael’s head. You can actually hear the incident unfold in the beginning of the demo (see below) which was ultimately released on “The Ultimate Collection” in 2004.

Michael and the team continued to record for approximately an hour and a half after he was struck by the wall. When they wrapped the session Brad called the doctor, who advised that Michael should be professionally assessed for concussion. In the “Bad” and “Dangerous” sessions security was pretty loose. There wasn’t really anyone around, other than the technicians, and Michael. So, Brad drove Michael to the hospital himself, in his little old car.

Attendees were treated to a number of exclusive pieces of Michael Jackson magic through the course of the seminars – things that have never circulated the fan community.

One item was a two hour audio recording Brad has of the collaborative session in which “Give In To Me” was conceived.

Originally “Give In To Me” was being drafted as a dance track, with a drum beat programmed to play while Michael and his guitarist jammed, ad libbed and figured out the melody. However, over the course of the two hour recording, the song evolved into the form that it was eventually released in. Michael realised it was not meant to be a dance track. The music took a direction of its own, and the pair ended up with a rock song. Brad shared portions of the the two hours, which he had personally trimmed down to around twelve minutes. Brad feels the world needs to hear this type of thing.

“Boots Groove” was an unreleased demo that Brad shared with the group. “It really sounded similar to ‘Get On The Floor’,” commented a fan. “That Brothers Johnson bass line.” Another unreleased track that Brad let one group hear is being referred to by fans as “Faces”.

He played the “Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough” demo too, which was just Michael and the drummer doing percussion. “The bottles and drums were thrilling.”

Another great exclusive was ten minutes of personal video Brad shot of Michael and Sean Lennon experimenting with a theremin (musical instrument) during the HIStory sessions. Michael really is a big kid in the footage. He’s just having a blast, wide-eyed and giggling as if he had not a worry in the world.

But perhaps the most special moment was the full-length video of Michael in the studio singing “Childhood” live with the NY Philharmonic. “It’s truly breathtaking,” beamed a fan who was lucky enough to have witnessed it. Michael can be seen in a soundproof room of glass, standing behind a huge room with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra and their conductor, giving Michael cues and entrances.

His vocals are incredible. He sounds amazing, and does this interesting “voice clear” away from the microphone between difficult phrases – which they edited out, of course. When the sweeping orchestra comes in mid-song – “Have you seen my childhood? Dah dah dah dah dahh dahhhh” – Michael is conducting, triumphantly swinging his arms saying, “Yes! Yes!” He grabs the sky and pulls down like a child. You’ll never see Michael look happier. He looked great, grinning from ear to ear. Truly amazing stuff.

The orchestra playing through “Earth Song” is also thrilling. “It sounds like Tchaikovsky or Brahms,” said one fan. “You almost don’t recognize MJ’s art in it.”

There’s also a great gospel “vocal warm up” with the Andrae Crouch choir for “They Don’t Care About Us”. They’re in a circle, singing a capella; “They don’t care, they don’t care. They. Don’t. Care. About us. They. Don’t. Care. About us!” It’s fabulous.

Brad apologized during the seminar, saying he can’t imagine how many priceless lyric sheets, music sheets and things of Michael’s that he just swept off the music stand into the trash when they were done. But he said, in hindsight, if he had kept every thing, every item, he would have been a fan and not a co-worker. And if he were just a fan then he wouldn’t have belonged in the room with Bruce Swedien, Bill Botrell, Matt Forger, Teddy Riley, Rod Temperton, and Michael Jackson.

“One of the best things about the seminar was that it was held in an authentic recording studio,” said one attendee.

Michael always said, “Hurt me! Bring the volume up to 11,” and that’s what Brad did. Out of courtesy he did ask the group if anyone wanted the volume to be lowered, but everyone said, “No!” The audio and video examples were played loud and clear. It was amazing. The bass, horns, strings; everything was played on an array of amazing hi-fi speakers. “You really got to examine the music.”

“This was $150 and exceeded my expectations,” concluded one fan. “Four hours in the studio with no cameras, no video or recorders allowed in. It was school for four hours and he could have gone on. The fans wanted to keep going or attend another one. Brad is a true ally of Michael’s.”

So, enough from me regarding the contents of the seminar. After all, this is not intended as an event spoiler, but more of an appetiser to encourage fans to attend. Reading about the details and experiencing the magic in person are two completely incomparable things. And each seminar is different, so you’re bound to learn something new at each and every session.

For more information and updates on future seminars, visit the “In The Studio With Michael Jackson” Facebook page here: facebook.com/inthestudiowithmichaeljackson

und noch eine Review aus dem InnerMichael Blog..

http://www.innermichael.com/2013/07/in-the-studio-with-mj/

• cinderella
    maja schrieb doch zu Anfang:

Zitat

Ich werde später irgendwann noch paar Teile als Übersetzung nachliefern.. :Tova:

Hast du wohl überlesen?

"When people's minds are clouded by anger or hatred, no angel can reach them". ~Michael Jackson~

• :wave: ..hier ein paar Auszüge aus der Review ...

Zuerst stellt Brad sich kurz vor, beschreibt, was sein Job im Studio war, und stellt auch seine Tochter Amanda vor, die ihm hilft.

Er brachte ein 14-Spuren-Digital Multi Trackband von Bad mit und verbrachte 15 Min. damit, damit zu spielen, indem er Michaels lead-vocals und die Backgrounds separat abspielte. Er spielte auch mal nur die Hörner oder die Gitarre von David Williams.
    „Direkt vor deinen Augen erschuf er einen erstaunlichen Remix. Es war irre.“ sagt ein Teilnehmer.
    Da Michael Perfektionist war, war er mit dem Bad Album nie zufrieden. Sie arbeiteten sogar noch nach Beginn der Bad Tour an Radio Edits, Singles und Dance-Mixes, die sie verbesserten. Brad sagt, dass die Version von „Bad“, die im August 1987 herauskam nicht genau die gleiche war, wie die Version die ein paar Monate später herausgegeben wurde. Sie arbeiteten immer noch weiter daran, um sie zu perfektionieren.

Brad spielte 3 Versionen von Streetwalker, eine Aufnahme, die für das Bad Album in Betracht gezogen worden war, aber schliesslich durch Another part of me ersetzt wurde. Eine dieser Versionen kennen wir von der Bad Special Edition 2001 und dem Bad 25 Release 2012. Die anderen beiden unterschiedlichen Versionen hatten ein Intro im „Wild-West“ Stil und andere Ad Libs.

Brad erzählte eine Geschichte zu Keep The Faith:
    Michael liebte Keep the Faith und wollte es immer auf das neue Album haben. Michael und das Team arbeiteten hart daran, viele Stunden, um die Aufnahme vorzubereiten, die Musik und alles. Als er dann die letzten Vocals aufnehmen wollt, passierte etwas, was den ganzen Song aus dem Gleichgewicht warf: Michaels Stimme „brach“. Brad hatte nie zuvor gehört, dass Michaels Stimme brach. Und Michael war sehr bestürzt darüber und regte sich auf. Weil seine Stimme brach, musste die Tonlage des Songs tiefer werden, damit Michael die Vocals so hinbekam, wie er es wollte. Jeder unterstützte ihn und sie begannen von vorn.
    Die Endgültige Version, die wir vom Dangerous Album kennen, klingt so, als würde Michael durch die Art des Gesangs sagen,„Sorry“ und „Danke“. Brad sagte, man kann das in seiner Stimme hören.

Brad sagte, Michael trank im Studio immer siedend heisses Evian-Wasser, für seine Stimme. Michael wärmte sich mehrere Stunden mit Seth Rigs, seinem Vocal Coach, auf. Meistens verpasste Brad diese Dinge, er sagt, es war für ihn einfach normal, dass Michael sich einsang, Tonleitern sang während er im Kreis moonwalkte oder an irgendetwas arbeitete.

Manchmal wurde Brad emotional. Obwohl sie professionelle Partner waren, waren sie auch Freunde. Michael liebte und vertraute Brad, und Brad fühlte auch so, und war Michael gegenüber über all die Jahre loyal.

Michael mochte das Feeling im Studio, es war wie eine „dunkle Höhle“, als Michael und das Team dort arbeiteten. Manchmal fragte Brad, ob sie alle Lichter ausschalten sollten, denn das war, wie Michael aufnahm, mit nur einem einzigen Spot für den Notenständer/Mikrofon..
    Manchmal hatte der Mangel an Licht auch Nachteile. Als sie das Demo für Dangerous aufnahmen, stiess Michael an eine Wand hinter ihm und die Stützen der Wand gaben nach, so dass die ganze Wand auf Michaels Kopf landete. Man kann den Unfall am Anfang des Demos hören, was 2004 auf der Ultimate Collection veröffentlicht wurde.
    Michael und das Team nahmen noch für etwa eineinhalb Stunden weiter auf, nachdem er von der Wand getrofen war. Dann beendeten sie die Session und Brad rief einen Arzt, der vorschlug, Michael solle sich wegen Gehirnerschütterung untersuchen lassen. Während den Bad- und Dangerous-Sessions war der Security Einsatz noch sehr gering. Es war niemand in der Nähe, nur die Techniker und Michael. Deshalb fuhr Brad Michael mit seinem kleinen alten Auto selbst ins Krankenhaus.

Die Teilnehmer konnten im Seminar einige exclusive Stücke von „Michaels-Magic“ hören, Dinge, die noch nie in der Community im Umlauf waren.
    Eines davon war eine zweistündige Aufnahme einer Give In To Me-Session, in der der Song Gestalt an nahm.
    Ursprünglich war Give In To Me als Dance-Track gedacht, mit einem programierten Drum Beat, der spielte, während Michael und sein Gitarrist dazu jammten, Ad Libs machten und so versuchten, die Melodie zu finden. Aber in den zwei Stunden entwickelte sich der Song zu der Form, in der er dann veröffentlicht wurde. Michael erkannte, es würde kein Dance-Track sein. Die Musik entwickelte sich von selbst in eine Richtung, und man endete mit einem Rock-Song. Brad spielte Teile dieser zwei Stunden vor, die er selbst auf etwa 12 Minuten zusammengeschnitten hatte. Brad denkt, solche Dinge müssten in der Welt bekannt gemacht werden.

Ein anderes 10-Minuten Video filmte Brad von Michael und Sean Lennon, wie sie während der HIStory-Sessions mit einem Theremin (Instrument) experimentieren. Michael ist in dem Film wie ein großes Kind. Er hat einfach Spass lacht und ist völlig sorglos.
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin

Aber der Moment, der vlt. Am allerbesten ist, ist das Video von Michael, wie er im Studio Childhood singt, live mit dem NY Philharmonic Orchestra. „Es ist wirklich herzerweichend“, sagt ein Fan, der das Glück hatte, es ansehen zu können. Man sieht Michael in einem schalldichten Raum aus Glas, der sich hinter einem riesigen Raum befindet, in dem das NY Philharmonic Orchstra mit dem Dirigenten spielt, der Michael Hinweise/Anweisungen gibt.
    Sein Gesang ist unglaublich. Er klingt wunderbar und macht dieses interessante „Voice clear“ (Stimme klären) -vom Mikro abgewendet, während schwieriger Stellen, was sie natürlich raus editiert haben. Als das Orchester zum mittleren Teil kommt- „Have You Seen My Childhood? Dah dah dah dah dahh dahhhh”- dirigiert Michael und schwingt übermütig mit den Armen und gestikuliert „Ja, Ja!“ Er greift in den Himmel und zieht ihn herunter wie ein Kind. Du hast Michael nie glücklicher gesehen. Er sieht großartig aus und grinst über beide Ohren. Wirklich beeindruckendes Material.

Auch das Orchester während dem Earth Song ist „thrilling“. Es hört sich an, wie Tchaikovsky oder Brahms“ sagt ein Fan. „Man erkennt fast nicht, dass Michaels Kunst darin ist.“

Es gibt auch noch ein großartiges Gospel-Warm-Up mit dem Andrae Crouch Chor für They Don't Care. Sie stehen im Kreis und singen acapella „They don't care...“ ..sagenhaft.

Brad entschuldigte sich während dem Seminar, und sagte, man könne sich garnicht vorstellen, wieviele unbezahlbare Lyric-sheets und Notenblätter und andere Dinge von Michael, er einfach vom Notenständer nahm und in den Müll warf, wenn sie fertig waren. Aber hätte er alles aufgehoben, dann wäre er Fan gewesen und nicht Mitarbeiter. Und wäre er einfach nur Fan gewesen, hätte er nicht in diesen Raum gehört, zusammen mit Bruce Swedien, Bill Botrell, Matt Forger, Teddy Riley, Rod Temperton und Michael Jackson.

„Eins der besten Dinge an diesem Seminar ist, dass es in einem echten Aufnahmestudio gehalten wird,“ sagt ein Teilnehmer.
    Michael sagte iummer „Hurt me! (tu mir weh) Dreh die Lautstärke auf 11 hoch.“ Und genau das machte auch Brad. Aus Höflichkeit fragte er, ob jemand die Lautstärke lieber heruntergedreht haben wolle, aber jeder sagte nein. Die Audios und Video-Beispiele wurden laut und deutlich abgespielt. Es war beeindruckend. Der Bass, die Hörner, Saiteninstrumente – alles kam aus einer Ansammlung beeindruckender HiFi-Boxen. „Du konntest die Musik regelrecht untersuchen.“

„Das war die 150$ wert und übertraf meine Erwartungen“ schloss ein Fan. „Vier Stunden im Studio, ohne dass Kameras, oder Videokameras erlaubt waren. Es war wie vier Stunden Schulunterricht und es hätte noch weitergehen können. Die Fans wollen mehr davon oder nocheinmal teilnehmen. Brad ist ein echter Michael-Verbündeter.“
    :hkuss: